Tuesday 12 January 2021

Polar Vortex on its way, and Sheltering at home

Two big news items here in Canada (which can't compete with what's going on back home in the U.S., but still a bit exciting for us up here). A polar vortex is heading for Manitoba and points east, which means we're bracing for unusually frigid temperatures, and new Covid restrictions were announced today. We are being told to stay home and shelter in place and not go out at all unless it's for groceries, medical reasons, or for exercise such as walking the dog. We're not to go out for non-essential things/reasons. Which coincides nicely with the polar vortex -- none of us are going to want to go out!

I am up at the church, which means if it's too cold to walk Brio, I can play ball with him in the spacious rec room downstairs, which he will appreciate. He's a dog that doesn't do well if he doesn't get enough exercise. However, since I'm at the church, that means I have no access to a car if I do need essential groceries, so the foodstuffs my husband stocked me up with will have to tide me over. I suppose if I got desperate, I could ask a neighbour to pick something up for me when they go grocery shopping, but I hate to inconvenience people. I don't know how long I'll be here. The plan was to stay until the end of January, but if travel restrictions continue beyond that, I will have to remain in place until Hubby can come fetch me. So I'm really sheltering in place!

I will devote this unexpectedly-extended time of isolation to writing another novel and hopefully disciplining my diet a bit so that I come home lighter than I came. Though since most of my food stores are flour, rice, and oatmeal, I'm not overly optimistic.

I have internet and music and a big Rubbermaid bin of books, so I'm okay. More than okay, really. I have heat and a roof over my head and a way to wash my clothes and the companionship of my fuzzy puppy. Life is good.

No comments:

Post a Comment