Friday 1 January 2021

Looking Forward - 2021

In the build-up to the new year, I admit I have been somewhat jaded in my outlook of late. Closing the door on 2020 will not mean a sudden end to its problems. Covid-19 will still be with us, if not worse, spreading across the population like wildfire. Racism still exists. Poverty and war and natural disasters and selfishness are still rampant... so I wasn't very positive in my approach to 2021.

However, last night as I watched the broadcasts of various firework displays from across the globe, I suddenly found myself fighting tears. I hadn't anticipated the ringing in of the new year to strike me that way. I suddenly didn't see the fireworks as bidding "good riddance" to a rough year; they struck me as evidence of humanity's innate optimism. Welcoming a new year with fresh hope for a better condition. Celebrating that we are still here, still alive, still unconquered. Optimism and hope are essential, born within us, and we need to cling to them no matter what is going on around us.

I went to bed early with a good book, but woke at midnight when firecrackers and shouts began sounding in my neighbourhood. The sound of my neighbours getting on with things. We are here! We are joyful in spite of everything! The sound of life persisting.

No comments:

Post a Comment