Thursday 23 March 2017

Feminism Hits a Low Point

Okay, I've got to say it. I opened up a magazine today and my first thought was, "How can we possibly have equal rights for women when there's this?" From the cover I thought I was going to read about entrepreneurial women across the globe who have taken the initiative to forward women's situation. And instead it turned out to be all ads about scanty swim suits, make-up, and ridiculously-high-heeled shoes. And of all things, the headline on top of one page was "Girls just want to have fun." There you have it in a nutshell---women are airheads incapable of doing anything serious or thinking about anything more pressing than the correct colour to wear this spring.

How can we honestly expect men to take us seriously if being a woman is defined by the amount of goop on our faces and the height of our heels? Can we blame them for ever thinking we're incapable and stupid? What kind of image are we trying to present to the world? I can take on unequal pay and abuse against women by slathering on eye shadow and wearing three inches of strategically-arranged fabric? Feminism took a giant step backward today, and I feel enraged and offended, with nowhere to land my punches. This is not representative of women, or fair to women, or worthy of women.

There, I've said my piece, and it's only 4:50 a.m. The day can only go uphill from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment