Monday 11 July 2016

First Harvest for the Food Bank

This week we were able to provide fresh vegetables for the first time for the food bank...garlic scapes, callaloo, kale, lettuce, and cilantro. Everything else got a late start and may or may not perk up in time for a decent harvest, but it's a start, anyway.

Meanwhile in my home garden, we're getting peas, beet greens, lettuce, kale, broccoli, basil, radishes, and lamb's quarters, and we're about to get green beans. The rhubarb and asparagus are done. The squash are cute things the size of tennis balls. And there is a tiny cluster of blueberries I'm hoping I'll get to taste before the birds get to them. Next week will be garlic harvest, the absolute best-smelling time of the year.

I can't imagine living life without access to fresh vegetables. That's my motive for gardening for the food bank this year. I couldn't face a diet of canned peas and creamed corn, and I hate to think any of my neighbours would have to.

No comments:

Post a Comment