Saturday 29 March 2014

Oh YEAAAHHH!

Was walking the dogs this morning and saw the first robin of the season. Woohoo! Spring is officially here. Like, bam! overnight. Brio saw the bird at the exact same moment I did, and instantly froze into a classical "pointing" position, one foot up, eyes riveted to the robin. And he didn't flinch a muscle until the bird flew away a full two minutes later. Geez, what kind of dog is this? Poodle, my eye.

Now the first robins I sighted last spring were on March 10, so we're well over two weeks later this year. Usually our "last frost date" is around Victoria Day, May 24, but I'm thinking I'm not going to plant anything outside (other than cold-hardy things like lettuce) until the end of May, to be safe. Which means I should start my tomatoes and gooseberries indoors the second week of April. So exciting! I'm sure we're still in for more cold and snow meanwhile, but we're finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel.

No comments:

Post a Comment