Friday 25 December 2020

Merry Christmas!

 It's a weird celebration this year, for sure, without grandkids piling into presents around the tree, or a big family dinner, or Son #2 and his partner driving to the house in their pajamas Christmas morning. It will be quiet and low-key, just us and Son #3, and there's meatloaf for dinner instead of the whole turkey shebang. I'll likely spend the day shoveling snow and doing puzzles. But the holiday itself is still as vibrant and relevant as ever, and if ever the world needed a saviour, it's now. I am grateful for parents who taught me to focus on Christ at Christmas instead of the Santa/presents trappings. The rush and glitz of consumerism has never appealed to me, and at Christmas it's especially appalling. I much prefer listening for the still, small voice in the hush of a peaceful morning, watching the snow fall and reading the old familiar story from the Bible while the house sleeps gently around me.

No comments:

Post a Comment