Wednesday 7 October 2020

Slogging along

 Well, so we were about to start painting the newly-drywalled basement, and the end was in sight. But when I got up at 3:30 this morning to let the whining dog out, I heard a weird noise in the basement. I went down and found a hole punched through the wall and water spraying out at high speed, soaking the floor and drywall in one area. I guess someone nicked the water pipe during the construction work, and it has been leaking down inside the wall, and finally punched a hole out of the drywall to escape. Luckily the water inside the wall has been snaking its way to the drain in the laundry room, from what I can see.

Being the capable and calm person I am, I dashed upstairs and woke up my husband (nearly giving him a heart attack). He put on his bathrobe and plastic clogs and went downstairs...and slipped on the muddy floor (water plus drywall compound dust makes for a mess). Down he went. Luckily okay, not injured, just muddy. He turned off the main water valve (silly me for not thinking of that first) and sent a message to the contractor. So we're without water today. The wet drywall (and maybe a stud or two) will have to be replaced, and the place dried out. Then we can start again!

This all keeps getting better and better.

No comments:

Post a Comment