Friday 23 October 2020

Final fall clean-up

The garlic is planted, to snuggle in the soil and lurk until spring. The last few years, the snow has come before the leaves have fallen, making for an interesting mess. But this year the leaves appear to be starting to fall on schedule. Usually I use them as mulch in the garden, but my husband complains that they blow into the pool, and of course every spring we have to pluck out a million baby maple trees. So this year I am going to bag them up for the city to compost, and I will haul in straw to mulch with.

We got the cracks in the patio repaired. The pool cover is about to go on. There might be one more lawn-mowing. I have a dozen onions left to pick. A fountain to put away. Tools to clean off and sort and stash. Patio chairs to wrangle into the shed. 

I didn't do any bottling this year. I still have a lot left from last year, and I'm not feeding hordes anymore since Covid has kept the kids and grandkids away much of the year. I've frozen or dehydrated the garden produce. And...that's it. I think I'm done for another season. Time to stock up on books and hunker down for another winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment