Thursday 19 March 2020

Pretty Much Business as Usual

I've been in the house (other than walking the dog) for a full week now. And I have to say, I've hardly noticed a difference. I guess I'm not very social at the best of times! I get up, read a while, have breakfast (today was homemade spelt bread with homemade peach butter), and work on the computer most of the day. I have a leisurely lunch, walk the dog briskly while avoiding people (everyone seems to have developed a fascination with bike riding and street hockey), work some more, have supper, read some more, and plop down to watch Icelandic murder mysteries on Netflix with my husband. In short, a pretty typical day.

My boarder from Alberta, on the other hand, finds himself in the difficult position of being the only extrovert in a house full of introverts. After only one day of being housebound, he was gloomily looking at his cupboard of supplies and saying things like, "My food is boring." He misses his coworkers. He misses his gym. He's tired of his new Playstation already.

I told him if he gets really bored, he can go running with Brio anytime. And if he gets REALLY bored, we'll have a taffy pull.

"A what?"

"A taffy pull."

"You make taffy."

"Yes."

"Where the heck am I right now?"

I had to laugh. He's still stunned that I weave my own towels and bake my own pita. To me, these things are normal, everyday activities. I'm starting to realize how my upbringing as a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) has really prepared me for tough times. I don't mean just the food storage and the vegetable garden and the lack of debt, though the Church teaches all of those things. But it also teaches the strength to be found in family, the comfort brought by being prepared both physically and emotionally, the confidence of being self-reliant, and the peace of having a firm faith in powers greater than my own. In short, I think my upbringing has made me pretty resilient. Let's hope I don't have to put it to the full test in the coming weeks.

Stay well, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment