Saturday 30 June 2018

Hot!

Today it's 45 degrees celsius with the humidex. Had to mow the lawn, because I really couldn't put it off any more, and I know with temperatures like this there will be a thunderstorm following soon, and then it will be too wet to mow. So out I went, and worked in the yard for 2 1/2 hours. I don't think I've ever felt more filthy and yicky after doing yard work. The dust just clings to your skin in humidity like this, until I looked like I'd been rolling in it. Now I'm showered, cool, and on the couch and refusing to go out the rest of the day.

Not that the dogs want walking anyway. I let Brio and Maple into the backyard, and they were back at the door pawing to get in within about forty seconds. Definitely a day for stretching out on their bellies on the tile floor indoors.

I do love a good thunderstorm, though, I have to say. First the trees start to dance, and the sky boils up with gray clouds, and then there's a sickly yellow cast to the light, and then boom! Because it's so flat here, you can see the lightening for miles. I used to love it when it stormed in Utah, when I was growing up. The thunder would get caught in the canyon and just ricochet around, magnified, like a volley of cannons. That ozone smell as the dust begins to grow damp is one of my favourite smells.

And I have a new Cathy Kelly novel to read, and a wind-up lantern in case the power goes off. And Monday I have off work because of Canada Day. Woohoo! Bring on the rain.


No comments:

Post a Comment