Saturday 4 July 2015

Lavender Season

Did you know there's an association in Ontario for lavender growers? And you can buy tickets to go into the fields of a lavender farm? There are honey tastings and wine tastings. Lunches featuring lavender-flavoured foods. Massage therapy with essential oils. All on a lavender farm near you. I even know of one where you can rent the farm for a wedding--I imagine it's a perfect romantic spot, surrounded by fields of pale, delicate purple.

It's an industry I haven't really thought of before as a, well, industry. But I suppose there is a fairly large market for it, because lavender can be used for all sorts of things, from soaps and candles and perfume to puddings and soups and gum. Now that I've heard of lavender honey, I don't think I can rest until I've tried some.

I have a swath of lavender, three different kinds, growing in my garden. I planted it in a big patch so that I can go stand in it and pretend I'm in Provence. I gathered a handful the other day and made cookies with the buds and flowers (yum!). Happy bees. Happy me.

No comments:

Post a Comment