Thursday 28 August 2014

Counting my Blessings

For some weird reason, I woke up this morning humming an old tune my great-grandmother used to sing. I don't know all the words, but it's about a girl named Belle, and I only remember snatches of it... "it blew Belle...We know that she's in heaven. She was too green to burn." Anyway, whatever the strange little song is, I've had Grandma's voice in my head all day. It has had a calming effect, has flooded me with nostalgia, and somehow has eased everything back into perspective for me. After the last two days of moping, I now find myself counting my blessings instead of feeling sorry for myself. I have kind friends who have sent me encouraging words. I spent a breezy hour playing ball with Brio at the park, where we met two darling little boys who joined right into our game with seamless confidence. Zucchini bread is in the oven and tomatoes are steaming on the stove...both tomatoes and zucchini being from my garden. I'm watching the Property Brothers on TV with my husband, whose paycheque did not bounce as feared. All in all, life is good.

1 comment:

  1. That song was sung by Grandpa True Garner, not Grandma, on the tape I have. If you don't have a copy of the tape (I think it is called "True Garner Sings"), then I'll bring it with me the next time we get together! The song is about a girl trying to light a fire. It goes something like this: "Belle was the hired girl's name; 'twas the fire that she tried to light. She mixed .....[something like] coal oil with a stick of dynamite; ....[forgotten words]....And where'ere it blew Belle, we never will learn. But we think that she's in heaven, she was too green to burn."

    ReplyDelete