Sunday 19 August 2012

Goldfinches

I was sitting at the table on the patio, reading, and looked up to see a flash of movement among the sunflowers. It took me a while to discern the American Goldfinch - he was the exact same black and pale gold as the sunflowers. He hung upside down over a drooping flowerhead, picking at the tiny black seeds within. It was like watching a flower itself, in motion.

Was he created to camouflage with his food source? Is he attracted to the seeds because of the flowers' familiar colours? Does a goldfinch see his own colours as welcoming? What did he eat before I planted those particular flowers this year?

I go back to my reading, he goes on with his feeding, and peace infuses the morning. I am happy he thinks my backyard is a friendly place.


No comments:

Post a Comment