Wednesday 27 April 2022

Seedlings

Ordinarily, I would have started my seeds weeks ago, but I've been out of town, and the spring seems to be getting a late start anyway. We had a dusting of snow last night, and the temperature is dropping to a high of 4 later this week.

Nonetheless, yesterday I got my seeds started -- peppers, tomatoes, cabbage, cauliflower, leeks, parsley -- and we'll just have to hope for the best. I doubt the brassicas will do much with this late of a start, but it's worth a try. I also planted the peas and onions (seeds, not sets) outside yesterday. I took the lettuce and spinach I've been growing all winter indoors and stuck it out as well, not because I thought it would survive so much as because I needed the pots. It felt kinder to give them a shot at life instead of dumping them in the composter.

The next thing I need to do is built trellises for the peas and beans, which will provide them support but also provide a bit of light afternoon shade to some of the beds this summer. They are predicting high temperatures this year, and a bit of shade will be welcome.

It felt so wonderful to be out in the garden again, poking at the soil and getting back in touch with myself. I know that sounds weird, but I'm my most authentic self when my hands are in the dirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment