Friday 22 October 2021

Flu Shot Fiasco

The other day, I was at the pharmacy and saw a sign talking about the seasonal flu shot. I asked the pharmacist if they were offering it and he said yes but to come back after two o'clock because they were busy.

That afternoon, I dutifully returned and filled out the form to get my shot. The assistant asked me if I were a senior (which took my ego down a few notches), and I said no, I'm 54, and made a lighthearted remark about my hair being grayer than my mother's, so she wouldn't feel bad about thinking I was older than I am. She took my form (on which I'd written my birthdate, I might add) and directed me to the waiting area.

A few minutes later, the pharmacist called me in and gave me my shot, and I went on my way.

The next day, my husband and son went to the pharmacy to get their flu shots. I was working on the computer, and when they got home, they behaved very strangely. My son wordless took a blanket and tucked it around my shoulders like a shawl, snugging it around my neck. My husband bent to speak loudly, as if I were deaf, and asked, "Shall I make you a cup of tea, dear?"

"Okay, what's up? Why are you treating me like a little old lady?"

Because---as it turns out---the flu shot is only being given out to those over age 65. Why the pharmacy assistant didn't explain that to me and send me on my way, I don't know. The sign certainly didn't say it was for seniors only. And the pharmacist didn't say anything either, even though he had the form with my birth year on it. But they told my husband I shouldn't have received it yet.

My apologies to whatever senior doesn't get their shot because I inadvertently jumped the queue! And now I feel better that she asked if I was a senior because of that and not because I look it.

No comments:

Post a Comment