Thursday 5 November 2020

Connections

 I am still here at the church, but I have internet access now, and I'm a bit amazed how much more alive the place---and I---feel now that I can connect to the rest of the world. Not only can I now work from here, via my laptop, but I can also phone and talk to my husband through Skype. I can stream music into the vast, echoing space. I can watch the CBC live, and tune in each morning (timidly, with one eye) to see if the world has gone up in a blaze yet. I watched a Hallmark movie on Youtube one night, and last night I joined some of the women from church for a meeting on emergency preparedness.

I feel perfectly safe here, but it's nice to know I can reach home or help in a hurry if I need to. And I'm suddenly very aware of how much I miss music. Since we've been taking boarders into our home for the past three years or so, I've been reluctant to play my music aloud for fear of disturbing someone. Someone is always there. But here, I can crank up Michael Jackson or sing along to Primary songs and it doesn't bother anyone. I can spin around in the sanctuary to bluegrass music and no one will snicker at my dancing. Or roll their eyes when I watch Seven Brides for Seven Brothers for the hundredth time. I even settled down to some writing for a while, and it's been a long time since I felt in the mood to do that to any extent. I find when I'm here, I'm reconnected to myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment