Saturday 16 September 2023

Crabapple Jelly Season!

Today I took some trugs and a stool and went out to collect crabapples from the boulevard trees around my neighbourhood. I guess my neighbours don't know this fruit is edible, because they just let it fall to the sidewalk every year, making a mess and wasting a vitamin-rich food. Picked 14 litres, which all fit into my steam juicer at once, which was handy. I had it all done and cleaned away by noon---it's really not an onerous task---and I have enough jelly to grace my toast and pancakes for the next year. Yum! Granted, it's not healthy in that there's more sugar than juice, but I'll struggle through somehow...

I don't know why you can't get crabapple jelly commercially made. It's my absolute favourite, and so easy to make.



No comments:

Post a Comment