Tuesday 26 September 2023

Saving Seeds

This is the time of year when the dehydrator gets a good workout. My dining table is covered with little bowls of various seeds being hulled/dried/packaged. Beans, flowers, herbs, tomatoes, pumpkins, squash, melons, kale, radishes, cucumbers, onions, leeks, carrots...It saves me money later, it guarantees a steady supply so I don't have to entirely rely on commercial seeds, and it gives me a deep satisfaction, knowing I'm providing for my family. Every year I do buy some seeds to try new things (this year it's sorghum), but for the most part, I can produce my own.

I also often leave things to self-sow. I don't have to worry about planting green onions, for example, because every year I get volunteers coming up all over the place. So long as you aren't picky about where things appear, it's a handy way to plant your garden. I always get a lot of volunteer tomatoes, too, which can be transplanted into neater plots.

I keep all my seeds in tidy drawers in an apothecary box. I have way more of some seeds than I need, so I might try selling them next spring. I could plant an acre of kale...

This year I tasted a Champagne Bubble (i.e. White Currant) cherry tomato for the first time (sweet, non-acidic), and I'm determined to get a cutting from the plant and over-winter it hydroponically. Then I can take more cuttings from it in the spring and plant them out in the garden. Looking forward to their delicious fruit next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment