Wednesday 30 November 2022

Self Reliance and Passing on the Knowledge

A couple of weeks ago, two of our faucets at home were leaking, and my brilliant husband fixed them himself. Then the toilet was leaking, and he got a part and fixed it. Then the dishwasher rack wheels broke, so he got parts and fixed that. Then yesterday the oven element stopped working, so he got a new one and fixed it. The framers missed doing some vital parts of the basement job, so my husband got some two-by-fours and finished the project. I'm married to Superman!

Not only did he save us a lot of money, he showed me how to do things while he did them. That way, I'll be able to cope better in future if/when it happens again. There's something very satisfying about knowing how to do something yourself. Even if you're never called on to do it, just knowing you could gives you confidence. Hence my loom and knitting needles and soldering iron and... Get the tools, learn to use them, and enjoy more peace of mind. You never know what potential scenarios could arise in the future, but just knowing you are capable of learning is strengthening in itself.

And now that I have a functioning oven again, I'm doing my Christmas baking. Buttertarts, here I come!

No comments:

Post a Comment