Wednesday 7 September 2022

The Long Emergency

I just finished reading The Long Emergency by Kunstler, an interesting, thought-provoking, and slightly terrifying book about the post-peak-oil economy. The book was written in 2005, but everything the author talks about and anticipates has come about, with a vengeance. This includes the housing bubble burst in 2008, the pandemic, droughts, the set-up to potential U.S. civil war, and current geopolitical events. It was one of those books you have to stop and ponder frequently as you read, and afterward I was left wishing there was a 2022 update. Or that I could invite Kunstler to dinner and just explore his brain and his thoughts for the future.

One of the things he discusses is the inevitable attrition facing the human population and the likely end solution in smaller, localized economies. Think small, resilient, agrarian communities pulling together and drawing on the skills and knowledge of each member for the common good. It made me want to start inventorying my neighbours to learn what skills and tools they have to share. I also need to look at ways to increase my own utility. I know how to do quite a few things, but there is always so much more to learn. I'd especially like to do more woodworking and basic building and repair. Kunstler noted that one of the most valuable skills will be to take old things and repair them and restore them to usefulness. I like the sound of that.

I may not be around long enough to take part in the full collapse. But I want to be around long enough to help smooth my kids' and grandkids' journeys however I can. I have been preparing my whole life for this without even realizing it -- I've always been drawn to the simple farm life, growing food, preserving it, weaving and crocheting, making things with my hands. This coming year I'm going to look for more ways to increase my resilience and that of my family and those around me. We're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment