Sunday 25 September 2022

Grape juice time!

Homemade grape juice is the best stuff on the planet. I didn't get around to bottling the tomatoes, peaches, pears, or apples this year, but the grapes just HAD to happen. I got three bushels from a farmer in St. Catharines, and it was a glorious drive to pick them up. Cool autumn air, the sun glinting off Lake Ontario, the delicious tang of the grapes scenting the air, and the windows rolled down to blow the fruit flies out of my face as the car filled up...

I've juiced half and have 20 bottles of lovely deep-purple juice so far. It froths a brilliant pink unlike anything Welch's can produce, and it doesn't stain the way commercial grape juice does. Which is a good thing, because a clogged pipe in my steamer resulted in a bit of a puddle on the white tile and down inside the stove...but it cleaned up perfectly and we were soon back in business. 

As an extra bonus, on my drive back to the city I passed an antiques flea market. Stopped on an impulse, walked up to the first vendor, bought a beautiful but inexpensive oil lamp, and got back in the car. A 2-minute transaction to acquire something I've been looking for for weeks. I'll have to go back, though, to explore the flea market more thoroughly, as it looks like a fun place to browse.




No comments:

Post a Comment