Sunday 13 March 2022

Victory Garden 2022

There are faint signs of spring---swelling buds on the maple trees, skeins of geese stretching across the sky, and the distinct smell of skunk when I step out in the morning. Time to think about gardening!

I ordered my seeds ages ago, and somewhere I drew up a map of where to plant what, but I seem to have lost it somewhere. Redrawing this morning. Every year I plant something new, and this year it is bok choy. I have some started on the kitchen counter, and I have to say, it's darling. I have a favourite soup I make with bok choy, celery, green onions, tofu, and coconut milk. 

This year I'm also planning to plant:

  • various other greens, spinach, and salad stuff
  • peas
  • green beans
  • two types of cucumbers
  • leeks
  • onions
  • bell peppers
  • tomatoes
  • kale
  • parsley, cilantro, basil
  • cauliflower, though it hasn't done well in the past
  • broccoli
  • beets
  • carrots
  • celery
  • zucchini
  • spaghetti squash
  • potatoes
  • sweet potatoes
  • cabbage
  • and of course the garlic is already in.
This is in addition to the perennial asparagus, rhubarb, strawberries, and raspberries. I usually plant a lot of dry beans, too, but I have quite a bit in storage already and I could use the space this year. With the cost of food going up, I think I need to focus on giving room to the pricier vegetables.

Here's the dilemma---The garden will need care and attention all summer, but I'm also supposed to be up at the church we're renovating, working on stained glass and keeping that yard maintained. The idea was to eventually move up there fulltime and establish a garden there, but with the yard now slated to become the bed for the new septic system, my gardening space up there is somewhat limited. Decisions, decisions. I think the need to grow fresh food may have to win out this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment