Tuesday 8 March 2022

Getting ready for spring gardening

The hyacinths are starting to nose up through the frozen ground. I've repotted my cherry tomatoes (I'm growing four plants indoors), and I make frequent salads with the greens that live under the growlights on the kitchen counter. I also repotted the oak and hickory trees I'm sprouting just as an experiment. I've got all my garden seeds for the spring, and a sketch of where I'm going to plant everything. I'm planning to build bean and pea trellises to affix to the raised beds on the south, to provide some shade for the other vegetables, as last summer the sun was too intense. I have a supply of straw to mulch under the squash this summer. I just need to buy some new heavy-duty gloves.

Does anyone else find it surreal to be puttering around their homes doing ordinary things, knowing that there are such crises going on in the world? I can't do much about it all, but I can grow food. I can make sure my immediate neighbours are fed. Maybe that will be my contribution. My husband has started referring to it as our Victory Garden.

No comments:

Post a Comment