Wednesday 14 July 2021

Kindness everywhere

A lovely thing happened to me the other day. I went out to trim my front hedge just after the yard-waste truck came by to make its pick-up, so I missed it. It would be two weeks before the next pick-up. Ah well. Still needed to be done before the rain came. I finished mine and then trimmed my neighbour's hedge too. 

As I was finishing, the other garbage truck came by to empty the compost bins (two separate trucks make the rounds). The truck stopped beside where I was working, idled a moment, and then the driver got out. He asked if I had a bag. I pointed to the one in my driveway. And without any fuss, he simply helped me rake and bag the hedge trimmings. I remarked that I'd missed the yard-waste pick-up, but he said he'd take it with the compost, put the bag in his truck, told me I'd done an excellent job, and drove away. Wasn't that the sweetest thing? Now I don't have to store a rain-soaked bag for two weeks.

There are kindnesses everywhere if you look for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment