Thursday 1 July 2021

Canada Day feels different this year

Ordinarily Canada Day is commemorated with parades and picnics and fireworks. I enjoy celebrating with gratitude the country I have chosen to call home. But lately I've begun to realize that not everyone sees this holiday in the same way. My view has opened up more to others' perspectives. And especially this year, in light of the recent discoveries -- and more to come, I'm sure -- of children's unmarked graves associated with the residential schools, I think Canada Day should be observed differently. And I think it should be a permanent change, to observe the day, not with fireworks, but with prayer. May we learn from this. May we never allow atrocity in this land. May we reach out to those who are hurting. May we stand as a shield against racism and persecution and speak up when something is wrong. May we have the courage to face our roles in the pain others are experiencing. May we heal as a community and draw from the best in each other. May we vow to be better.

No comments:

Post a Comment