Saturday 27 March 2021

So Many Bee Books!

I was just going over the books on my shelves and the list I keep of books I want to read, and I'm struck by how many of them mention Bees or Beekeeping in the title:

  • The Beekeeper's Apprentice - Laurie King
  • The Language of Bees - Laurie King
  • A Recipe for Bees - Gail Anderson-Dargatz
  • The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kidd
  • Letters from the Hive - Stephen Buchmann
  • Queen Bee of Tuscany - Ben Downing
  • The Honey Queen - Cathy Kelly
  • The Boy Who Taught the Beekeeper to Read - Susan Hill
  • Bee Season - Myla Goldberg
Of course, not all of these are literally about bees -- but isn't it strange I've gravitated to so many! And that there are so many out there. I have fond memories of sucking on honey taffy for a sore throat. I love the smell of burning beeswax candles. I like trying all the different flavours of honey I can find. But when I consider raising bees myself, I fluctuate between fear and fascination. My brother-in-law does it and seems to have survived it. Maybe someday I will get up enough courage to try it myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment