My Bachelor's Degree is in linguistics, and I've always been keen on language in general. I like to play with words (I once wrote an entire paper on the meaning of the word "for.")
Have you ever noticed that most of the words that start with the letter D have something in common?
Dig
Delve
Down
Deep
Ditch
Dungeon
They all have something to do with going downward. Going lower.
Devoted
Devout
Dedicated
Same connotation. Going deeper, digging in. Now consider:
Doom
Depress
Destroy
Darken
Depose
Same again. All have something to do with bringing down.
Divert
Depart
Dispose
These are a little trickier. They have to do with motion or direction, going to the side, but not necessarily downward.
Then I start coming up with D words that this doesn't seem to apply to, such as the Hebrew word Devorah, meaning honeybee (so maybe it doesn't translate across languages), but then I start thinking of honeybees and hives, and my mind comes up with the phrase "Dark Hive," and that's now going to be the name of the mystery novel I'm writing. Thus I come up with ideas and titles and plots...
No comments:
Post a Comment