One of my favourite times of the year -- harvesting, curing, and cleaning the garlic. It smells so good around here right now! I grow about 60 heads every year, perpetuating the German/Music garlic I got years ago from Bruce, a fellow piper who is no longer with us. It's nice to know his crop continues.
It's always a guess how much to hold out for planting and how much to save for eating. Last year I also sold some, but I think this year I'm keeping any extra so I can plant even more this fall.
Last year I also tried the experiment of planting bilbuls, which grew nicely this summer. I'll leave them in the ground for another year, to see what turns out next year.
Every summer, I also find volunteer garlic growing all over the garden, thanks to the squirrels. It usually turns out small, and I think this year I'll just let it go to seed and get some more bilbuls out of them.
No comments:
Post a Comment