Tuesday 4 April 2023

Revving up for the season

We're getting buds, and I expect they'll flower in the next couple of weeks. I'm so eager to get out into the garden! I admit it, I've pre-ordered my garden soil about 7 weeks in advance. I'll be topping up one older bed to plant some new asparagus crowns. I've direct-sown some lettuce, kale, onions, beets, spinach, carrots, and rapini. I have to go out of town for a couple of weeks, so I'll be getting a late start with the seedlings, but I have everything ready to go when I get back. I've raked up pine needles to add to the potato bed, and I've taken the mulch off of some of the other beds. I think for a couple of the beds, maybe for the squash and tomatoes, I'll keep the leaf mulch on and plant through it, and see how the "no till" method works.

Thinking about putting in some grapes up at the church we use as a cottage. Might plant haskap berries up there too. They can manage on their own, since I'm not there very much, and can be establishing themselves so they're ready when we move up there full time. I'm also toying with the idea of borrowing some of the neighbour's space to grow pie pumpkins, which won't fit in my own garden.

I've been watching Homestead Rescue. I've been reading Caleb Warnock's book on self-sufficiency. I've been pondering the seed catalogues and combing through my old gardening notes. I've updated my garden log. I've sorted through my seeds and categorized them by when to plant. I've bought a new pitchfork. Now if it would just warm up!

No comments:

Post a Comment