Thursday 5 January 2023

Nessun Papa - er - Speaker

I'm glued to the TV, watching the bizarro struggle going on in the U.S. House of Representatives over the last few days. I almost find myself watching for white smoke to come out the window, announcing a consensus has been reached.

When we kids were small, Mom's edict was that if you couldn't share something nicely, nobody got it. I wonder what would happen if someone -- who? -- stood up and said the same thing in the House. If you can't come together and work it out, we're shutting you down. Vote of no confidence. Set in motion a new election for all of you. None of you might get back in here again. Including the twenty entrenched people who are apparently trying to hold the country hostage. Or -- what if they instituted a two-person, bi-partisan leadership? Or brought in an arbitrator like they do with union negotiations?

Is it a matter of McCarthy truly thinking he's the best and only choice for the good of the country? Is it just hubris or does he have a case? If he eventually wins, wouldn't it feel like returning to the office after winning a wrongful dismissal suit? Personally, I wouldn't want to go to work every day knowing that half of my colleagues didn't want me there.

I have no idea how this will end up.

No comments:

Post a Comment