Tuesday 14 June 2022

Stressful Times in the Garden

Well, the rabbit saga continues. Two nights ago, something clawed apart the rabbit nest. One baby was killed outright, one was wounded, and the other three are okay and running around the garden with Mama. The injured baby has lost the use of his hind legs (looks like something bit him -- he has a puncture wound on his back). He obviously can't survive in the wild without his legs, so I brought him into the house and made up a bed of straw taken from the nest, with a "burrow" made of a flowerpot, in a plastic tote. Okay, it's a blue recycling bin, and it has an unfortunate sticker on the side that says "Time is running out," but we're thinking positively here. 

My farm girl side has been warring with my Buddhist animal-lover side, and I decided I had to at least try to save him. Even if it doesn't work, I can try to make his last moments more comfortable than leaving him for the neighbour's cat to finish the job. My husband got some kitten milk replacer from the pet store, but he hasn't been too enthusiastic about it. He licked a drop from his lips, and he licked one drop off my finger, but he won't open his mouth to let me feed him with the eyedropper. He doesn't seem to be in pain or shock or anything, and he lets me hold him for a while before he protests and wants to be released. He perked up in spirits a bit when I took him out onto the lawn, and he even nibbled one blade of grass before hiding again in his flowerpot. He looks quite wilted and lethargic but becomes more animated when I take him outside. But there's just no way to keep him safe outside without a solid hutch to keep predators out.

I have to admit, watching Mama Bunny hopping around with his rough-and-tumble siblings broke my heart. I so want to be able to give him back to his mother, but it just isn't possible. I want him to be able to snuggle with his nestmates. I want him to be able to nurse. If he misses tonight's feeding, he may not make it to morning. Is it kind to try to save him? How can I not?

I went up to Mama, who was nonchalantly chewing on my spinach in the garden, and told her I was sorry about the one who died, and I promised her I'd do my best to help the little one I have.

Brio has been glaring at me all evening for fraternizing with the enemy, but he'll just have to be patient. This little being is going to take up a lot of time and focus and psychological energy for a while. 

No comments:

Post a Comment