Saturday 16 April 2022

Food Shortages and a Home Inventory

I came up to our old church we're renovating, intending to stay for a week. But some of the tradesmen needed to have us around the following week and my hubby had to get back to the city for something, so he left me here and returned home. He won't be back up to get me until the 25th, so instead of staying for a week, I'm staying unexpectedly for four. While I'm here, I have no car and no access to a grocery store.

I am sure everyone is aware of the food shortages and empty shelves going on right now. This three-week stay will be a test of how well we are prepared. I have enough staples to keep me going, though the fresh fruit and vegetables ran out the first few days. When the frozen veg runs out, I have canned. But I see I am lacking in fruit and some of the frills, such as chocolate... I know, I know, chocolate isn't technically a staple, but it's amazing how one's body begins to crave it as soon as it isn't available! I also see that the low-carb diet is an impossibility right now...

I also see that I should have stocked up on more puzzles and books. There's only so much I can work on stained glass before my hands give out, and there's only so much Netflix one can endure.

I'll be on my own for Easter, but I have Spam I can pretend is ham, and I have instant mashed potatoes (I know, I know, but it's better than nothing). And I have enough eggs to make brownies. I can watch church via Zoom, and yesterday I watched the Tabernacle Choir Easter presentation on Youtube. So all in all, I'm fine for the holiday.

I have frozen milk, but was running out of yogurt, so I took the last half cup of it and tried making a batch of homemade yogurt with it in the crockpot. I'll find out in a few hours if it was successful.

I've started making a list of the things I'm running out of, so that I'll know what to stock up on next time. This has been a good trial run. I would recommend it to anyone -- stop shopping for a month and see where your weaknesses are.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment