Monday 17 July 2023

A Homemade Day

This morning I made myself a quiche with a whole bunch of stuff from the garden: onion, lamb’s quarters, kale, bok choy, sunflower leaves, nasturtium leaves, and basil. The peppers and tomatoes in the garden aren’t ripe yet, so those were store-bought, but theoretically in a few weeks I should be able to make it all from the garden except the mushrooms and, of course, the eggs. If I could just have chickens, I could do the whole thing from scratch, really. I threw in some store-bought cheese too, but if I took the time, that could have been homemade also. I had a slice of homemade bread with the quiche, with homemade grape jelly.

This afternoon I’ll be cleaning the cured garlic, readying it for storage. Last night I cleaned the dried lavender and froze a bag of it, enough for hundreds of cookies to come.

Yogurt is now percolating gently in the slow cooker. There’s the prospect of lettuce/spinach/kale salad with strawberries for lunch. My husband is in the kitchen pre-making dinner with home-bottled tomatoes and zucchini fresh from the yard (the good Italian grey kind, not the dark-green baseball bat kind). And I have a glass to hand of homemade grape juice, bottled last year.

Life doesn’t get better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment