Tuesday 7 March 2023

Being realistic about my hobbies

Some time ago, I downsized from three weaving looms to one. Then I gave away two spinning wheels. Finally, after some debate, I've recently sold my wool carders and drop spindle. It's not that these things aren't enjoyable. It's just that I could see I was on the slippery slope to raising alpaca, and I needed to draw the line somewhere.

I have a lot of interests, from doing stained glass to gardening to writing to crocheting to needlepoint to baking to... well. I've been trying lately to decide how I can most beneficially spend my time. And I've tried to determine whether I really enjoy everything I do or if I'm hanging onto it "just in case." Like, as in "What if the Apocalypse happens and we can't get yarn? Should I hold onto my equipment in case I need to spin my dog's hair and knit myself socks with it?" 

There is something to be said for preparing for the future, but it's also possible to live so much in anticipation of the future that you miss the present. Then again, looking at the spinning wheels and drop spindles...maybe I'm really living in the past!



No comments:

Post a Comment