Wednesday 1 February 2023

It's the little things

We once lived for about four months in a log cabin, and I came away from the experience filled with gratitude for simple things like flat walls to hang artwork on, kitchen cupboards, windows that open, a smooth floor babies can crawl on, and a furnace that works without having to get up and stoke it in the middle of the night.

This week I am staying up at the church we're renovating, and the experience has made me appreciative of all the little comforts I have back at home. Things like a functioning kitchen with a working sink, heat in every room, a front door that opens without a struggle, a fenced yard so I can just let the dog out to run without having to trudge out there with him every time. There's much good to be found here -- quiet, calm, space, light, air -- but much to be desired when it comes to warmth and comfort.

I think it's important once in a while to live uncomfortably, so that we're more fully aware of how good we generally have it every day. We tend to forget the warm world we swim in until we're yanked out into the chilly air.



No comments:

Post a Comment