Monday 11 July 2022

What I'm growing

It occurs to me I should tell you what you're seeing in the photo in my last post. We are growing: asparagus, rhubarb, bok choy, tomatoes (several kinds), cucumbers (two kinds), cabbage, cauliflower, green beans, peas, lettuce, mizuna, perpetual spinach (which is actually a type of leaf beet), carrots, kale, potatoes, onions, green onions, leeks, edible lilies, edible lavender and violets, sedum (also edible), lambs' quarters (okay, they're a weed, but they're yummy), zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, raspberries, strawberries, basil, parsley, and cilantro. And soapwort, which isn't edible but its roots can lather up and be used as soap. 

I also planted the 60 cloves of garlic, as stated in an earlier post, and only about six have come up, in other places in the garden than where I put them. That tells me maybe squirrels carried them off, burying some of them elsewhere. A few developed nicely, but the rest are spindly. However, a friend of ours is a garlic farmer, and he says his crop isn't doing well either, so I guess it's just a bad year for it.

Today I replanted bok choy, spinach, parsley, and basil for a fall crop as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment